Galleries and Studios
The Art Center: at the Old Library
1006 Penn Avenue
In November of 1911, a petition with 160 signatures attached was presented to the LaGrande City Council requesting the establishment of a city library. A resolution was passed, and in December of 1911 the council set aside and dedicated Lot 1, Block 66, Chaplin’s Addition, where the present art center now stands, for future use as the Public Library.
On February 10th, 1913, the Carnegie Corporation informed the library board it would make a donation of $12,500 for the construction of a library building. An ordinance was then passed accepting the gift from the Carnegie Corporation. The library moved out in 2006, and the art center took over soon thereafter.
The mission of the Union County Art & Culture Center [a.k.a. Art Center: at the Old Library] is to establish a self supporting facility for Union County that enriches and celebrates cultural diversity, heritage and the arts. With over 225 ft of wall space featuring year round exhibitions of local and regional artists, 1000 sq ft dance floor, ceramics studio with pottery wheels and a new electric kiln (Courtesy of Community Bank), drawing and painting studio, an ever growing list of kids and adult art classes, special events including: Annual Grande Gala, Retro Prom Dance, and Holiday Bazaar….the Art Center always has something going on.
The corner of 6th St. and L Ave.
Home of the Eastern Oregon Regional Arts Council, ArtsEast is located in La Grande, Oregon. We have a history of service to eastern Oregon artists, arts organizations, and communities.
Since our inception in 1977 as a non-profit organization, ArtsEast has delivered arts education/outreach programs to regional schools and communities and hosted visual arts exhibitions and performance series. ArtsEast has also been the hub of arts information and a resource for fostering the development of rural arts and cultural organizations. Our service region includes the 10 most eastern counties in Eastern Oregon: Baker, Gilliam, Grant, Harney, Malheur, Morrow, Umatilla, Union, Wallowa, and Wheeler.
Blue Turtle Gallery
1124 Adams Avenue
Blue Turtle Gallery is an art gallery and store that features artwork and gift items made by local artists.
1414 Adams Avenue
Local artists and art fans have long relied on Mitre’s Touch for a wide selection of framing materials and mats. They also have a gallery space featuring local artists.
Mt. Emily Ale House
1202 Adams Avenue
The Ale House’s walls are regularly graced by the works of local artists. The building at 1202 Adams Avenue was built in 1900 and originally housed the U.S. National Bank. The original vault is even still intact in the basement! Since then, the building has housed two jewelry stores, a clothing store, and a lending corporation. The building was remodeled in 2008 and converted into a brewpub. The opening of Mt. Emily Ale House in February 2009 was the culmination of years of dreaming and months of planning. Jerry Grant has been home brewing since 1992 and graduated from the UC Davis Master Brewers Program in 2007.